The National Institute of Rug Cleaning The Mechanical Systems Hygiene Institute The Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Institute National Institute of Disaster Restoration The Water Loss Institute National Institute of Restoration Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification
Return to Homepage
Contact Information
Emergency Tips
Sample Work

Emergency Tips

Preventing Further Damage  |  Water Damage  |  Smoke Damage  |  Vandalism

Useful information in case of fire or flood:

Tax Deductions:

If you are not insured, or if your insurance will not cover the total extent of the damage, you may be able to deduct some or all of your losses on your federal income tax return.  For further information, contact your local Internal Revenue Office.

Valuable Document Loss:

Birth Certificates

Copies of birth certificates can usually be obtained from the Births and Deaths office in the city in which you were born.  They will need to know your name, current mailing address, date of birth, hospital in which you were born, mother's maiden name, and father's name.

Social Security/ Medicare Card

If your Social Security or Medicare card is destroyed, please call your local Social Security Administration Office.  You can apply for a new card at this office and the replacement card is free.

Military Discharge Papers

Veterans can obtain standard Form 180 from their local office of the Veterans Administration to make application copies of destroyed military discharge papers.  If additional help is required, please call your local Red Cross

Marriage or Death Certificates

To obtain a copy of a marriage or death certificate, you must apply to the County Clerk in the county where the form was originally issued.

Divorce Decrees

Make a request for a certified copy of the divorce decree at the place it was issued
< Back

Page 1

Next >


L  i  c  e  n  s  e  d    -     B  o  n  d  e  d     -    I  n  s  u  r  e  d